‘A’ LEVEL INSTRUCTOR
‘A’ LEVEL EXAMINER
‘B’ LEVEL JUDGE
Carl Gigg was born in 1963.
He started training in the Shisei-Kai SEIKUKAN Dojo,Ashford, Kent, in 1996. He was enthused about Karate-Do after watching his children train in classes. He was soon training and, as they say, ‘hooked’! Carl was the first adult member to train from white belt to black belt.
Carl currently holds the grade of 5th Dan black belt.
Due to work commitments Carl had not been able to travel out of the U.K on many occasions, other than Germany and the Netherlands, but in November 2022 travelled to Japan where he trained and successfully graded to Godan.
Carl has trained under the following Gima-Ha Instructors:
- Mitsunori Kobayashi (Ashford, Kent and Katakai, Niigata, Japan), 9th Dan
- Hidetada Narumi (Okehampton, N. Devon, and Niigata, Japan), 8th Dan
- Yoshi Yoshinori, (Hamburg, Germany) 5th Dan
- Muneharu Go, (Hamburg, Germany) 5th Dan
Whilst at the Gima-Ha Winter Gasshuku in 2013 Carl joined many others training with:
- Salvatore Orlando, 8th Dan
- Paul Sexton, 6th Dan.
- Ash Hawkes, 6th Dan (then 5th)
He has trained on many occasions, within the UK, with such instructors as:
- Keigo Abe, 9th Dan
- Mikio Yahara, 8th Dan (now 10th Dan).
- Akihito Isaka, 8th Dan.
- Yoshikazu Sumi, 8th Dan.
- Richard Amos, 8th Dan.
- Jim Lewis, 8th Dan.
Carl is a non-political person who is willing to train alongside anyone wishing to wear a Dogi. To that extent he happily trained in a class, in Okehampton 2013, led by Ash Hawkes. 6th Dan, who was a co-organiser of that event.
He is also one who speaks his mind, and leaves you in no doubt as to an opinion or thought.
Carl has enjoyed a successful tournament career in the veterans division, winning:
- 2nd in Kumite and 3rd in Kata in the 2002 JKA Netherlands Championships,
- 4th place in Kata, in the 2002 JSKA World Championships
- 1st in Kata and 3rd in Kumite in the 2004 JKA Netherlands Championships,
- 3rd in Kumite in the 2004 WJKA World Championships.
- 2nd in Kata and 3rd in Kumite in JSKA Germany friendship cup.
Carl is one of the senior students/instructors in the Shisei-Kai Dojos.
He has an eye for detail and is a ‘stickler’ for correct form. More junior students know that they are in for a technical lambasting whenever he teaches.
Carl has completed the Gima-Ha/Shisei-Kai Kenshusei (Instructor Intern training) and holds a Gima-Ha National ‘A’ Level Instructors certification as well as ‘B’ Level Judge and Examiner.
Carl currently acts as the Assistant Instructor for the Shisei-Kai Dojo, Maidstone, Kent, and has acted as the squad manager for the Gima-Ha UK teams on several occasions.
Carl is another well rounded and seasoned Karate instructor, who prefers to keep a quiet profile.